Wednesday 19 January 2011

Fas Spring XI.2

Something of a killer second session to continue the great form of the new season: thanks to all. In a break from format, here are some rambling thoughts as to it all.

I decided to pitch a new project of mine. Tentatively, and definitely not permanently, entitled 100days (see the twitter hashtag to follow, #100days), it sees the careers and collapse of two protagonists of differing backgrounds and sympathies. More on it anon. Satisfying that my own inclinations with the project were mirrored in Fas: it needs to be a human story with human relations at its centre. My own writing flourishes in that kind of situation, as opposed to trying to write a polemic or something that says something. Who wants to say something anyway?

Next up, John (O) (John-O) pitched an idea of his own. If I thought I was being vaguely political, John upped the ante and we were on Communist Russia of the 30s and some of the massive reversals of fortune that so many people experienced. The idea is a stormer and deserves a hearty, well researched treatment, but I for one am looking forward to seeing it at Fas.

Also up for discussion was about making the evening sessions more overtly a social / drinkle / fun time session and keeping the Sunday sessions as strictly Fas with reading / crit time. What are people's thoughts? I think it'll work, I think it'll provide options for the meetings and a range of opportunities for writers to talk about their work both formally and informally. So there we go. Game on.

No comments:

Post a Comment